Parmesan-crusted Baked Avocado Wedges

The husband and I have recently discovered something - avocados are delicious!  I don't know why we haven't been eating them all these years. I feel like I've missed out these last 24 years of my life without them. Now, I am making up for lost time!  I had an idea for this after I saw someone post parmesan roasted broccoli.  Well, I didn't have broccoli; I had avocados.  So I tweaked some things and this is what I came up with...
This is my avocado.  The star of the show.  He (yes he's a he) was way too firm when I bought him, so my mom suggested I put him and the others in a brown paper bag on the counter for a couple days.  Afterwards he was nice and soft, but not mushy.

Then I cut him in half and scooped out the seed.  PS-if anyone knows if I can plant that and grow my own in a terracotta pot inside, please let me know.

Cut the halves into wedges, like an apple.

For the breading, I mixed however much parmesan cheese this is (all I had left in my container, probably 2 tablespoons or so)...

...with crushed up cornflakes.  I would have used panko bread crumbs had I had them.

Dip that avocado wedge in some milk to moisten things up.

Coat it with the parmesan/cornflake mixture.

Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray and line the wedges up like so.

Bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes.  You don't want the cornflakes to burn.
They were the softest, melty-ist avocado snacks ever.  My husband and I ate them all, and then wished we'd made some more! And we will soon!

Comments

  1. I love avacados so this is a must try for me...looks so yummy. Am glad you discovered you like them, they are really great for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to your question you can grow a lovely plant from the pit but you probably won't get any avocados. It takes 4 to 6 years for an avocado plant to grow fruit and the fruit will probably not look much like the avocado the seed came from. If you Wikipedia avocado and scroll down to the section on rootstock and prorogation it will tell you more.
    This recipe looks awesome by the way I'll defiantly have to give it a go I love avocados.
    PS. If you do decide to grow a plant I'd suggest putting your pit in some dirt and leaving it in a dark place until it sprouts. The toothpick method doesn't work all that well it's more for show if you have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much!
    Lauradora-Thanks for answering my question! Even if it won't make an avocado, I may still try planting it and see what comes out! Thanks a bunch =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that looks wonderful!! I love avocado! Thanks for sharing this. (By the way, love your new header.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts