Cajun-style Surf-n-Turf



This is it, yall. I am in the final countdown to summer. I love my students, and I love my job, but I am so ready for a break and to spend the whole summer with my sweet girl!

However, with the end of the year comes all the end-of-the-year craziness. My husband has started his percussion sectionals, so he doesn't get home until 6:00 every evening. We've had celebrations to go to. Not to mention having strep last week :( I haven't been able to cook quite as much as I'd like.  

I remedied that tonight!


I made a Cajun-style surf-n-turf dinner with chicken and shrimp in a cream sauce. This dish has some kick, but it's toned down by the creamy sauce. 

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts, pounded 1" thick and cut in half
1/2 lb shrimp (I cheated and used precooked)
4 tbsps butter, divided
Salt, pepper, Tony's creole seasoning
1/2 c chicken stock
1/2 c half and half (I would have used heavy cream, but Walgreens was out)
2 heaping tbsps cream cheese
Onion powder

Directions
Preheat oven to 375.
Melt 2 tbsps butter in a hot skillet. 
Season two chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and Tony's. Brown in the melted butter. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts in the remaining butter. 
Transfer chicken to a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. 
Add chicken stock to skillet to deglaze the pan. Bring to a boil to reduce for about 3 minutes. Reduce heat and add half and half and cream cheese. Allow to simmer, stirring constantly until thick. Season with onion powder and other seasonings to taste. 
Add shrimp and heat through.
Serve chicken topped with shrimp and sauce. I served mine over a plate of zucchini, but it'd be good in a pasta or by itself with a side dish. 


My favorite part of this dish is that my sweet P even ate some of the chicken!! She typically won't touch chicken at all, but she actually had a decent serving, accompanied by her beloved zucchini slices, of course! Hopefully this means she is going to stop being so picky!! We will have to wait and see :)

Comments

Popular Posts